Monday, June 11, 2007

new server/client

Lately I have been working on setting up apu as a local server to get patti to be a client (on apu's server). I succeeded in this just now. I think in the end I just had a file (fstab) where I had apu.cs.haverford.edu moe as the title for the ip-address, once I changed the last part to "apu" and restarted portmap and nis, everything worked. More to come on this later but basically what I did was set up apu as a server by the following instructions:

install the NFS server:
sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server

edit
/etc/hosts.allow for the ip address of patti,
/var/yp/ypservers as apu
/etc/exports with something like /home 123.45.678.123(rw,sync,root_squash)
/etc/default/nis edit the lines to say NISSERVER=master and NISCLIENT=true

on the server computer I kept running the following commands after I changed anything

sudo exportfs -arv
sudo /etc/init.d/nis restart
sudo /etc/init.d/portmap restart

Also, on the client computer I kept running
sudo /etc/init.d/nis restart
and
sudo /etc/init.d/portmap restart
until it successfully bound to the yp server

I checked this by running "ypwhich" until it correctly said the name of the server computer


Also, I don't know what I did but patti finally recognized the nvidia graphics card and is displaying the correct resolution. cool.